Monday, June 9, 2014

Revenge Wears Prada


By rights, I shouldn't actually call this a review.  I didn't actually finish the book.  So let me say right off the bat that I am not "rating" the book.  However, the truth must be shared so that future readers may be warned...

I have previously reviewed The Devil Wears Prada.  It was an ok book that made a better movie.  But it was still an ok book.  When I saw that Laura Weisberger had written a sequel, Revenge Wears Prada, I was interested enough to check it out from the library and attempt to read it.

I tried.  I really did.

But...ewww.

As far as I can tell, Andy, the main character, has not grown up at all.  In fact, I think she may have regressed a little.  She seems to have become everything she hated in the first book.  Still, somehow, she manages to start a successful publication of her own and find what appears to be the perfect husband.  On her wedding day, she finds a note from her future mother-in-law to her husband-to-be begging him not to marry Andy.  This understandably shakes Andy up.  The story is ok up to this point - which is, like, page 6 or something.

Then Andy proceeds to marry the husband but go for PAGES AND PAGES AND PAGES of agony before she actually talks to him - and when she does, she acts like a two year old and stomps off.

Somewhere in there she gets tested for STDs, but it turns out she's just pregnant.  Because, you know, those two things are hard to tell apart. 

Have you noticed yet that there is no "revenge" that the title has promised us?  No appearance of the villain we all love to hate, Miranda Priestly?  For all that revenge might wear Prada (a title that actually makes no sense, when you think about it), there doesn't seem to be a lot of revenge going on, just Andy acting like an idiot. 

I got about 30 pages in and then got on Goodreads to see if I was the only one with this reaction.  What I found was that almost every reader on there who had tried to read the book had the same experience I did.  Ah, so it's not just me.

I decided that life was too short for bad books and took the thing back to the library.  The next book I picked up was The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion, and it redeemed my faith in the written word.  (Review to come!)

So my advice to you all...please don't read this book.  Just like you shouldn't waste calories on bad chocolate, you should not waste precious reading time on bad literature.  And this is bad, bad, BAD literature. 
 
Reading now: A Higher Call by Adam Makos and Larry Alexander
TBR:
1. The Queen's Man by Sharon Kay Penman
2. Follow the River by James Alexander
3. Lost in Translation Volume 1 by John Klein and Adam Spears
4. Four Blood Moons by John Hagee
5. The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment