Friday, June 20, 2014

Literary Quotes


I have been attending literary workshops all week, so I don’t have a new review  for you. (Ironically, because I am attending classes on literacy, I have not been able to read as much.  Chew on that on.)  I do, however, have a “related to reading” post to share.  One of the presenters this week used this article as a prompt for a collaborative activity:


Obviously, this is a list that could be widely debated, although I do like their picks.  But it got me thinking about my own favorite literary quotes.  I do not pretend to have read everything, and I don’t have my mother’s or my brother’s memory to remember everything I ever read.  However, there are times when a sentence just really grabs you and sticks with you in a special way.  So I thought I would share with you some of my favorite quotes from literature.  This is by no means a comprehensive list, and it is not ranked.  These are just the ones I could come up with today.  It’s the kind of list that can easily shift and move with time.  Feel free to add your own favorites in the comments!

So without further adieu...these are a few of my favorite things:
“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again.” - Daphne duMaurier, Rebecca

“Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.” - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Sign of the Four

“The ships hung in sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.” - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

“For tho’ from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.”
- Lord Tennyson, "Crossing the Bar"

“No pit is so deep that God is not deeper still.” - Corrie Ten Boom, The Hiding Place

“I am a princess.  All girls are.  Even if they live in tiny old attics.  Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren’t  pretty, or smart, or young.  They’re still princesses.” - Frances Hodgson Burnett, A Little Princess

“Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so.” - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

“Do not go gently into that good night.
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”
- Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gently"

“She was becoming herself and daily casting aside that fictitious self which we assume like a garment with which to appear before the world.” - Kate Chopin, The Awakening

“When the day shall come that we do part,” he said softly, and turned  to lookt at me, “of my last workds are not ‘I love you,’ you’ll ken it was because I didna have time.” - Diana Gabaldon, The Fiery Cross

“Oh, this was the great ploy of Satan in that kingdom to his: to display such blatant evil one could almost believe one’s own secret sin didn’t matter.” - Corrie Ten Boom, The Hiding Place

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried. - Gilbert K. Chesterton , What’s Wrong with the World

“All wars are sacred,to those who have to fight them. If the people who started wars didn’t make them sacred, who would be foolish enough to fight? But, no matter what rallying cries the orators give to the idiots who fight, no matter what noble purposes they assign to wars, there is never but one reason for a war. And that is money. All wars are in reality money squabbles. But so few people ever realize it. Their ears are too full of bugles and drums and the fine words from stay-at-home orators. Sometimes the rallying cry is ’save the Tomb of Christ from the Heathen!’ Sometimes it’s ’down with Popery!’ and sometimes ‘Liberty!’ and sometimes ‘Cotton, Slavery and States’ Rights!” - Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind

 

“All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does, and that is his.” - Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
“God hath given you one face, and you make yourself another.” - William Shakespeare, Hamlet 
“Rosencrantz: I don't believe in it anyway.
Guildenstern: What?
Rosencrantz: England.
Guildenstern: Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then? ” - Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

And for my final word for today...

“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”   - C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe





No comments:

Post a Comment