Sunday, July 7, 2013

What I'm Reading These Days





Ok, so here's a confession: I seem to be having trouble finishing books lately.  As in, I am trying to remember the last time I actually, you know, finished one.  I keep picking them up and starting them.  I should probably just settle down and focus on one at a time, but that doesn't really seem likely to happen, now does it?  So, instead I am going to take a moment to let you in on the World of a Hopeless Bookworm and see just what it is that keeps me reading these days:

1. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  I saw Lincoln and I had to read the book.  The competition for the Republican presidential nomination of 1860 was an intriguing time in American politics, and rather than punish his competitors with obscurity, Lincoln recognized his need for opinions other than his own and surrounded himself with his rivals.  That, my friends, is statesmanship.  Wish we still had some around.

2. Forgotten God by Francis Chan.  I believe Francis Chan to be one of the great men of God of our time.  The revelation he has received about what it means to truly follow Christ is at once challenging and comforting.  This book about the Holy Spirit is, so far, a life-changer, and I hope to finish it soon.

3. The Utter Relief of Holiness by John Eldredge.  Fact: If John Eldredge wrote it, I am going to read it.  I don't care if it's about God, life, or penguins, I will read it.  This book is about living a holy life - and the relief that comes from living the life we were intended to live.  I am almost done with this one, look for  review soon.

4. The Story of Britain by Rebecca Fraser.  I love this book.  I love British history.  I have been reading this book on and off for over a year.  I WILL FINISH THIS BOOK.

5. History's Worst Predictions and the People Who Made Them by Eric Chaline.  Hard to believe that people thought airplanes were useless or that no one would want a personal computer in their home, but there it is.  This is a fun book, and it makes a great coffee table book.  Or bathroom book.  Or waiting-to-pick-up-the-kids book.  It's just fun.

6. A Prophetic Calendar: The Feasts of Israel by Jill Shannon.  An exploration of the feasts mandated by God and the blessings that come from celebrating them today.  Gives both practical and spiritual applications.  I'm going slowly in this book because I am savoring it.    Amazing blessing and revelation here.

7. Lady of the English and To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick.  Elizabeth Chadwick is one of those authors I read while I wait for Diana Gabaldon and Sharon K. Penman to get done with their novels.  She's good, but not as good as Gabaldon and Penman.  (Let's face it, who is?)  These two novels about my favorite period in English history are keeping me going until Penman finishes Ransom and Gabaldon finishes Written in my Own Heart's Blood.

Is it any wonder that I NEVER finish a book?!  ;)

In the meantime, here's a typical conversation at my house...my poor husband...


No comments:

Post a Comment