Saturday, August 13, 2011

And So I Begin

Let's get one thing straight right now.

This is insane.  

I am a married woman, a mom of three, and I am starting my student teaching semester in about 36 hours.  I am graduating with a Master's degree in December and plan to work full time.  I volunteer to run the missions ministry at my church, and I volunteer to work with the middle school students.  I already have two blogs, one of which I can't manage to keep up.  I am currently getting up in the mornings early to walk in an attempt to drop 50 pounds.  What in the world am I doing starting another blog that no one but my mother will read?  

Well, I could make some lofty statement about the importance of doing things for myself during these next few months, or I could pontificate on the role of literature in a civilized society.  

But the truth is...I'm doing this because it seems like fun.  

Here's the deal.  I love to read.  And when I say love...I'm not saying it the same way we say things like "Oh, I love  french fries!"  or "Oh, I just love Target!"  I mean I LOVE reading.  Reading is a gift from the Lord in my life.  It's a way to learn, to escape, to experience.  I can visit Ancient Egypt, medieval England, or the antebellum South, all in one afternoon.  (Did that this afternoon, as a matter of fact.)  I can learn about Eleanor of Aquitaine.  I can learn about baseball.  I can bask in the revelation of such great Christian heroes as C.S. Lewis or G.K. Chesterson.  If I EVER get through those Tolkein books on my shelf, I can visit Middle-Earth.  

And let me just tell you...with all that reading, I am THE person you want on your team for Trivial Pursuit.

However, I find it difficult to keep track of what I've read.  I can't seem to remember what book I picked up recently - and half the time, I can't find it halfway through and have to come back to it.  So I'm starting this blog as a way to keep track of my books just a little bit, as well as a way to discuss what I've read.  I LOVE talking about what I've read, but most of the time people don't really want to hear it.  This way, I can get it all out, and no one has to read it who doesn't want to!

So here's the plan: I am going to attempt to update this daily, or at least several times a week.  Each entry will be a review of a book I have recently read.  It will also include my current TBR list, what I am currently reading, how far I am in it, and anything else I think sounds fun.  When I don't have a book review to do, I plan on going back and reviewing books I have read recently - or even just books I love from the past and have re-read recently.  As Francois Maurioc once said, "If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads, but what he rereads."

You will also discover that I like quotes.  
So here we go.  I'll do my posting very soon.  Please, please feel free to comment on my reviews, even if you think I'm full of nonsense.  Half the fun of reading is the discussions that follow! 

With that, read on, readers, read on...




No comments:

Post a Comment